Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
ODD or oppositional defiant disorders affects approximately 5% of the population. Unfortunately, experts disagree as to the causes of this condition. Some believe that the cause is genetic because it seems to run in families. While others believe that it is a learned behavior.
Children with ODD seem to have a particular problem with authority figures and this can cause problems at school and in wider society. There is evidence that children with ADHD are more likely to suffer from ODD. Also, it is thought children with ODD can have problems with making friends and maintaining friendships.
Hypnotherapy treatment for ODD Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Hypnotherapy can help with ODD in a number of ways. Firstly by teaching the child to automatically regulate their anger. Plus learn coping techniques for stress and anxiety. Every session includes confidence building. This can also be beneficial. Adding positive suggestions for change will help the child to want to behave better. Allowing the subconscious to enjoy and want praise for good behavior.
There are a number of suggestions for treatment of ODD:
- Offer children praise and encouragement when they are cooperative.
- Refrain from arguing with children and make it clear that they will not engage in confrontational displays.
- Establish reasonable and age-appropriate behavioral expectations.
- Be consistent in following up with consequences for disobedience.
- Learn and utilise stress management techniques.
If you would like to make an appointment, then please feel free to email or use my contact page.
For more information on ODD see: